Slide Option 1

Opportunity Lives Here

Enter Canada With A Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

Foreign nationals who are inadmissible to Canada must rectify their status before they will be permitted to enter Canada. A Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) can perform this function. A Temporary Resident Permit is a document that temporarily circumvents inadmissibility so a foreign national may enter Canada for a predetermined period of time.

Foreign nationals who are medically inadmissible or criminally inadmissible to Canada, including for a DUI offence, may not enter the country for any purpose without expressed authorization from Canadian immigration. When petitioning Canadian immigration authorities for a Temporary Resident Permit, applicants are required to demonstrate a significant reason to enter Canada. A Temporary Resident Permit is a document that enables temporary access to Canada, but will not circumvent criminal inadmissibility for those seeking to permanently immigrate to Canada. For those seeking to remedy their criminal inadmissibility for Canadian immigration purposes, please consult our Criminal Rehabilitation section.

Individuals who are criminally inadmissible to Canada will require a Temporary Resident Permit every time they wish to enter Canada. For criminally inadmissible foreign nationals who require regular access to Canada, a multiple-entry Temporary Resident Permit might be an option for you. A multiple-entry TRP can be valid for up to 3 years under Canadian law, although issuance for periods of less than three years is most common.

A Temporary Resident Permit is required insofar as an individual remains criminally inadmissible to Canada. Criminal inadmissibility can be remedied permanently in one of two ways:

1) By submitting a Criminal Rehabilitation Application, or

2) By virtue of “Deemed Rehabilitation”.

You may require a Temporary Resident Permit if you have been convicted of an offence and:

  • Less than five years has passed since the completion of your sentences, probationary periods and fines.
  • More than five years has elapsed since the completion of all sentences, probationary periods and fines, however no finding of criminal rehabilitation or deemed rehabilitation exists.

Note: If you are eligible to submit a Criminal Rehabilitation Application, you are expected to go through that process before, or in conjunction, with an application for a Temporary Resident Permit. Failure to adhere to this procedure will most often result in a failed application.

Temporary Resident Permit applications can be submitted to a designated Canadian consulate, or can be processed at a Canadian port of entry when circumstances merit. Travelers are encouraged to take appropriate steps to rectify their inadmissibility, either temporarily or permanently, well in advance of travel.

TRP Reapplication

A Temporary Resident Permit is limited in validity duration for a predetermined amount of time. Under Canadian immigration law Temporary Resident Permits can be valid for up to three years, however, immigration officers are often hesitant to issue TRPs for a full three-year period. The length of Temporary Resident Permit validity is at the sole discretion of the officer reviewing the application.

It is not possible to “renew” an existing Temporary Resident Permit. TRP holders wishing to extend their stay in Canada must apply for a new permit. For this reason, it is advisable to get as much longevity out of your first application as possible.

Speak with a Canadian immigration inadmissibility lawyer to find out more about maximizing your TRP longevity.

For more information about Temporary Resident Permit applications, or to speak with a Canadian immigration lawyer about any immigration matter, contact First Immigration Law Firm for a free consultation @ 1-855-360-4333.