Slide Option 1

Opportunity Lives Here

Canadian Immigration Law Firm

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Citizenship and Immigration Canada has temporarily stopped accepting applications for the sponsorship of parents and grandparents due to the fact that they have been receiving more applications in this category than they can process. Applications for parent and grandparent sponsorship are said to reopen January 2nd, 2014. In the meantime, individuals may consider the Parent and Grand-Parent Super Visas, or other family class programs offered under provincial nominee programs.

The federal Family Class Sponsorship Program offers a stream to sponsor your parents and grandparents so that they may immigrate to Canada as well. Sponsors must meet the following requirements:

  • sponsors must be a Canadian citizen or a Canadian permanent resident;

  • sponsors must be 18 years or older;

  • sponsors must demonstrate that their total income meets the minimum income level necessary for at least the three consecutive years prior to submitting the sponsorship application (this can include income of spouse/common-law partner if applicable). Sponsors must provide proof of their income through documents issued by Canada Revenue Agency.

  • sponsors must sign a contract promising to repay the government for any social assistance benefits paid to the sponsored grandparents and parents (including accompanying family members) for a period of 20 years.

additional conditions apply to sponsors who are residents of Quebec (see Quebec Sponsorship Program)

Parent and Grandparent Super Visa

Another option to bring your parents or grandparents to Canada without going through the sponsorship program is by having your parents or grandparents apply for the parent and grandparent Super Visa. Although the Super Visa does not provide its applicants with permanent residency, the super visa can remain valid for up to ten years and allows parents and grandparents to visit Canada for two years at a time (rather than the six months that most visas allow for). Visit our Parent and Grandparent Super Visa page for more information or contact our Canadian immigration law firm for assistance.