Yukon Business Immigration Program
This program permits the government of Yukon to nominate those applicants who have the experience and ability to either start a business, become a partner in a business or purchase an existing business, in the Yukon. This program is not an investment program, however, applicants are required to contribute money to ensure the viability of the company. Evidence of the investment is required and can be demonstrated in a number of ways. Individuals interested in making a passive investment should look into the investor program found at the federal level. The business must enhance the production and marketing of goods, services, exports, technology or research in the priority sectors recognized under this program. Contact our Canadian immigration law firm to discuss your options.
Applicants (foreign nationals) must meet the following requirements in order to eligible under the Yukon Business Program:
- The applicant must have 5 years of experience in a senior management position or direct entrepreneurial experience in a business similar to the proposed business.
- The applicant will be required to submit a resume, financial statements, letters of recommendation and other documents as evidence supporting his or her experience. Work experience as a manager or an employee does not necessarily demonstrate the ability and required skill to own and operate your own business;
- The applicant must have a minimum net worth of at least $250,000 CAD, including liquid assets of at least $150,000 CAD. Liquid assets include assets such as cash, demand deposits, term deposits, tax shelters convertible to cash and publicly traded stocks and bonds;
- The applicant must have visited the Yukon at least once and be able to demonstrate an understanding of Yukon’s business and social environment. During this visit, the applicant must meet the an officer of the Nominee Program.
- The applicant must demonstrate that he or she has sufficient communication skills in either English or French in order to properly operate a business in the Yukon.
- The applicant must plan to be actively involved in the day to day management and operation of the business;
- The applicants must make an equity investment in the business in the amount of at least $150,000 CAD, which must purchase a minimum of 33.33 percent of the business.
Priority will be given to those business applicants who intend to establish or be involved in a business in one of the industries listed below:
- Mining/Mineral Development
- Cultural Industries
- Film and Video Production
- Information Technology
- Value-added Processing
- Tourism Products, Attractions, Services and Facilities
Businesses in the following industries are not eligible under the Yukon Business Program:
- Business and Personal Services
- Most professional practices
- Real Estate Rental
- Passive Investments
- Retail, wholesale operations and distribution operations
- Financial Services