Self-Employed Farmer Stream
This stream is for farm owner/operators with proven management skills and the financial resources to establish a sustainable farming business in Alberta.
Applicants under this stream must meet the following requirements:
- The applicant must provide proof of prior managerial experience with an existing farming business;
- The applicant must provide documentation as proof of the education, training and work experience necessary to develop a sustaining farming business in the province of Alberta;
- The applicant must submit a proposed business plan for the farming operation;
- The applicant must be able to provide evidence that a Canadian financial institution is willing to provide a financial investment into the proposed farming business;
- The applicant must invest a minimum of $500,000 CAD of equity into the proposed farming business. It is possible that the applicant may be required to demonstrate the ability to invest more than the $500,000 minimum;
- The applicant must have a net worth of $500,000 CAD or demonstrate that he or she has access to these funds from other sources.