Slide Option 1

Opportunity Lives Here

Canada Immigration Law Firm

It is possible for foreign nationals to first come to Canada on a temporary work permit and then later apply for their Canadian permanent residency. There are four main ways to achieve this.

Below you will find four Canadian immigration programs that temporary foreign workers can apply for to obtain their Canadian permanent residency:

1. Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

If you are working with a Canadian employer on a temporary work permit and the employer has made you an offer for permanent employment, you may be eligible to apply for your permanent residency under the Federal Skilled Worker Program. Such an offer is referred to as arranged employment. The temporary worker will have to meet the necessary points required under the Foreign Skilled Worker Program. Points are awarded based on factors such as the applicant’s education, age, adaptability, language skills and the job offer. This process can take up to 12-18 months.

2. Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

Temporary Workers in skilled positions can use their work experience in Canada to apply under the Canadian Exeprience Class program. This is a popular options for those temporary workers who do not meet the points required the federal skilled worker program.

Applicants under the CEC are required to at least 2 years of work experience in Canada or have completed post-secondary studies in Canada and have 1 year of work experience. Applicants who qualify under the CEC must meet one of the requirements above before applying for their Canadian permanent residency.

3. Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP)

Almost every province has their own provincial nominee program that allows provinces to nominate foreign nationals to apply for their Canadian permanent residency. Applicants who apply under a provincial program must intend to reside in the province under which they are applying for. The different streams and options available in each province can vary greatly however programs often resemble those programs at the federal level. Applications for permanent residency under a PNP can take up to 12-18 months. Contact us for more information.

4. Quebec Experience Class (QEC)

Temporary workers can apply for their permanent residency through the Quebec Experience Class. The Quebec Experience Class (QEC) is much like the Canadian Experience Class (CEQ), except there are additional requirements under the QEC.

Applicants under the QEC must have worked in Quebec in a skilled position for at least 1 year (by way of temporary work permit) and they must speak French at an intermediate level. Successful applicants will be given a Quebec Selection Certificate by the province of Quebec, allowing to apply for their permanent residence status.

It should be noted that foreign nationals in Canada with a Working Holiday Visa may also apply for their permanent residence through QEC, so long as they meet the requirements mentioned above. *This option for Working Holiday workers applies uniquely to the QEC.

The process to go from temporary worker to permanent resident via QEC can take up to 1 year or less.