Slide Option 1

Opportunity Lives Here

How does a foreign worker get a Canadian work permit?

In the vast majority of cases, those seeking to obtain a Canadian work permit will require a job offer first. There are exceptions to this rule, for example Post-Graduate Work Permits, open work permits for accompanying spouses and Canadian work permits obtained under exchange programs such as the Working Holiday Visa Program for young people.
Once a foreign worker has a job offer, the next step is to apply for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). An LMO is a document issued by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC), after they have determined the nature of a foreign worker’s impact on the Canadian labour market. The purpose of an LMO is also to ensure the specifics of the job offer are fair and conform to Canadian labour standards.

For a free consultation with a Canadian immigration lawyer, contact First Immigration Law Firm toll-free in North America @ 1 (855) 360-4333 or 1 (514) 360-4333 internationally.